Project Implementation Unit Project Director
Position Title: Project Director
Duty Station: Marneuli with frequent travel in programme area Kvemo Kartli and Samtskhe Javakheti
Position Category: Full-time, Salaried, Full benefits, 42 months
PROGRAM/DEPARTMENT SUMMARY: HEKS-EPER (www.eper.ch) works in development cooperation in many countries around the world/ In the South Caucasus we support local initiatives of partner organizations in the field of rural development, income generation and peace reconciliation. In frame of the project financed by the EU delegation in Georgia HEKS office Georgia is recruiting a Project manager. The recruitment is subject to the successful approval by the EUD in Georgia of the consortium’s bid to the tender.
The EU funded programme ‘Civil Society Strengthening for equal and full participation in civic, economic and political life will cover 2 regions – Kvemo Kartli and Samtskhe-Javakheti. The overall objective of the programme is: ‘To increase the local CSOs’ competency to better perform their roles as reliable actors of governance and development.
The planned start of the assignment is December 2021.
GENERAL POSITION SUMMARY:
- The Project Director is a senior management position in the European Union ENPARD II funded program: Strengthening Rural Development Models in Georgia
- The Project Manager is responsible for managing all aspects of the programme, providing overall technical, administrative and operational management throughout implementation. He/she will track progress toward objectives and expected results, will constantly monitor expenditure against the budget, and ensure the project is implemented according to agreed work-plan and schedule. The Project manager will undertake the programme management during the entire time of the programme implementation. The position requires significant experience in management, rural, economic and agriculture development together with strong leadership and coordination skills.
- The Project manager will supervise HEKS/EPER’ staff employed in the programme and relevant programme staff from the implementing partners. In addition, the Project manager will establish close working relations and communicate with the central, regional, and local authorities, Ministry of Agriculture, other stakeholders, beneficiaries and the donor.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Vision, Leadership and Strategy
- Establish leadership, direction, and personal credibility amongst staff in HEKS/EPER Georgia.
- Implement and maintain a clearly understood chain of authority and accountability within programme staff
- Undertake overall management of the programme implementation process and the programme staff
- Oversee the monitoring of programme implementation, results and impact. Design strategies, implementation plans and monitoring plans which predict and monitor the rural development in the target municipalities plausibly attributable to the programme interventions.
- Communicate the programme goals and objectives with key team members, partners, beneficiaries, local, regional and central government and the relevant stakeholders
- Commitment to Quality Program and Staff Development
- Manage with an emphasis on excellence and achievement; encourage a team culture of learning, creativity and innovation.
- Recruit, manage and motivate an informed, skilled and efficient programme team; incorporate staff development strategies and performance management systems into team building process.
- Establish strong working relations and ensure close planning and coordination of programme activities with the implementing partners.
- Assist HEKS/EPER Georgia Tbilisi staff to maintain an adequate human resource plan consistent with HEKS/EPER policies, including current position descriptions for all positions, personnel orientation and professional development plans, personnel evaluation systems, field personnel policy manual, and personnel grievance procedure system.
- Regularly travel within the Kv. Kartli and Samtskhe Javakheti municipalities to visit project sites, including rural areas;
- Reporting, Monitoring and Evaluation
- Ensure programme is based on sound design principles. Utilize HEKS/EPER and donor required M&E systems and design a realistic M&E plan for the programme.
- Establish and maintain effective and timely programme sub-grant decision-making, monitoring and reporting systems together with the implementing partners. Ensure program teams are responsible and capable of conducting on-going programme monitoring.
- Monitor the decision-making regarding the selection and funding of sub-grant applications from the local communities, business entities, farmers groups and individuals
- Ensure accurate reporting and continuous monitoring of all project activities and liaise with the donor jointly with HEKS/EPER HQ.
- Write quarterly and annual reports for the donor in line with progress against stated indicators – to be reviewed by HEKS/EPER HQ programme desk before submission
- Ensure independent and unbiased/neutral evaluations of programme at timely periods, as required internally by HEKS/EPER and by donor.
- Representation & Diplomacy
- Oversee the activities of and relationships with three implementing partners and sub-contractors. Review and alter contracts as necessary in relation to performance and objectives.
- Develop and nurture culturally sensitive internal and external relationships and networks, especially with other NGOs also implementing EU programs, to ensure optimum communication and programme success
- Serve as a focal point for coordination among all stakeholders and field staff ensuring the maximum impact of the project towards beneficiary needs
- Organize and participate in the project steering committee meetings
- Build strong and effective working relationships with HEKS/EPER headquarters and regional teams, international and local NGOs, government officials, donor community officials, diplomatic corps and embassies, businesses, media and the general public.
- Fiscal, Compliance Management and Accountability
- Manage the budget within approved spending levels and assist in the development of cash-flow projections and spending plans.
- Oversee budget management of sub-grantees/sub-contractors.
- Exercise sound judgment to ensure programme expenses are reasonable, allowable and prudent. Ensure all programme funds, including private funds are spent in compliance with donor and Mercy Corps rules and regulations.
REPORTS DIRECTLY TO: Regional Director
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s or master’s degree in Business Administration, Economics or related field
- At least 7 years’ experience in a field context incorporating rural development and/or economic/agricultural development programmes
- At least 5 years of management experience (desirable in program administration in NGOs)
- At least 3 years of experience of managing EU-funded programmes
- Experience of working with implementing partners
- Fluency in Georgian and English language (knowledge of Armenian and Azerbaijani languages is an advantage)
- Experience of working with the central, regional, and local government
- Ability to manage program staff effectively and strategically
- Ability to manage team with members from different organizations
- Willingness and availability to intensively travel to all the areas, covered by the programme
- Excellent communication and problem-solving skills
- Excellent reporting skills
- Computer skills: MS processing application (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, MS Project and/or equivalent software for managing projects).
Interested applicants should send their CV to HEKS/EPER at: email@example.com, no later than October 31, 2021. Please, indicate in the subject line Job Title for which you are applying.